Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"Hello is as important to me as my wedding day"- Chetan Bhagat

Continued...
Your first and most popular book Five Point Someone is being adapted into 3 Idiots by Rajkumar Hirani...How did that deal happen?
During the release of my second book, I happened to meet Raju. He was working on Lage Raho Munnabhai at that time. I gave him my first book and he said he won't be able to read it until his film finishes. However, in a few weeks the Mumbai cloudburst happened and Raju was locked in at home with my book. He read it and called me down to Mumbai. The rest we all know. As you can see, the terrible cloudburst became a divine intervention for me.

Have you also written the story/ screenplay for 3 Idiots?
No, I am not involved in the adaptation process. Raju has a great team (the Munnabhai team) and I trust him. Raju is adding a lot to the story and so it is better he works on it. Also, I'd rather do a new story than stay on with my old works.

You have two of the biggest stars Aamir and Salman starring in two films based on your books...you surely must be a happy man...any other actors on your wish list.
I am a happy man anyway as my readers have given me more than I deserve. Having the two Khans is great and glamorous, and will make my story reach more people. No desire to work with any particular actor as such - as long as they are competent and good human beings, I'd love to work with them.

Are there any plans for filming your third and most recent book 3 Mistakes of my life?
No plans as of yet. Many offers but I cannot say anything until I experience the full Bollywood cycle with Hello's release. '3 Mistakes' has a big scope as it tackles tough issues, so will make sure a competent team is in place.

Coming back to your first love, writing...could you tell your million fans what are you currently working on for your next book and when should it be out by?
I won't reveal any details on my fourth book. Suspense is an author's biggest weapon. I have a script to finish after Hello releases, and then will work on the fourth book. I am hoping to have it out by 2010.

How do you manage juggling time between a fulltime top corporate job, your profession as a writer and now as a screenplay writer?
I am good at multitasking, and I only write when inspiration comes. At other times, I am in office. Still, it is difficult. But just as a working mother who commutes two hours and looks after her kids at home - I somehow manage.

Books are often the best way to spend time...so what does Chetan Bhagat do in his spare time? Are you an avid reader yourself and what do you like reading?
I like to read, but not when I am in the middle of writing something. I read a lot of bestsellers. I also love spending time with my twin boys. I went for my first PTA meeting as a parent last week and the teacher praised them both. I was sort of disappointed as I like naughty kids. My parents were always embarrassed to go to PTA meetings.

In the few months that you have been in Bollywood, how has the experience been?
It has been a good experience overall, though there are highs and lows. There is a lot to navigate, a lot of people to convince and hard to keep grounded through it all. And yet, you are working on creating something beautiful that all the hard work and frustration seems worth it. Still, for me the attraction of Bollywood is not the glamour but the stage it provides me to channel my thoughts to the people of my country. Let's see if I get to keep my place on this stage.

Are you a big fan of Bollywood films? In recent times (this year, last year etc.) which films have you enjoyed watching?
I am a huge fan of Bollywood films. I am so into them that there is a censor certificate before my dreams at night. But aren't all Indians? In the last two years, I've loved Taare Zameen Par, Namastey London, Khuda Kay Liye, Om Shanti Om and Partner (huge Salman/ Govinda bias I admit).

Being a writer yourself which writers' work do you admire most in Bollywood among the current lot?
I have always found Mr. Gulzar to be an inspiration, as he does books as well as scripts. In fact, we share the same publisher (Rupa & Co). Among the current crop, I like Jaideep Sahni, Anurag Kashyap, Prasoon Joshi and Raju Hirani's writing.

Finally Hello opens across cinema halls this week. Why do you think audiences should shell out 200 bucks on a ticket when they have already read the book and know what's in store?
All I'd say is my fans and Salman's fans are different from other fans. It's an emotional relationship and they treat us like a big brother. And if your big brother is getting married, do you need a reason to come? Hello's release is as important to me as my wedding day. So our fans know what they have to do. For the rest, all I can say is you'll have super fun in the theatre and come out a more self-confident person. And a few million people have loved the story. Is that reason enough?End.

Source

No comments: